It’s easy to get swept away in the hustle and bustle of the season, forgetting it can be a difficult time of year for seniors. The care experts at Home Care Assistance Scottsdale know that that one of the best ways to help seniors beat the holiday blues is to keep their social calendars full. Although the winter weather tends to put a pause on some activities to do with your senior relative, there are still many great seasonal options for entertainment. Below are five fun activities your senior relative can enjoy this holiday season.
- Tour of lights. Many cities have a few neighborhoods that go all out decorating for the holidays. Some of these neighborhoods even have organized drives that wind through the streets at a leisurely pace so that both drivers and passengers alike can enjoy the seasonal lights and outdoor decorations. If your loved one is fairly mobile, it can be fun to park and walk through the neighborhood. Sometimes, the owners of the home will be outside to chat or offer some hot chocolate. It’s always free to drive around and it’s an easy way to get in the holiday spirit.
- Local holiday shows. Check local listings for both amateur and professional holiday plays. Most local theatres put on holiday productions like The Grinch or White Christmas. Schools, churches, and community theatres also put on plays, sometimes at no cost to attendees. Other holiday shows might include The Nutcracker ballet or a winter symphony performance.
- Holiday movies. Curl up on the couch with your senior to watch a holiday classic or offer to host a family movie night. Choose from holiday standards like It’s a Wonderful Life or Miracle on 34th Street, or introduce your senior to current hits like Elf or Love Actually. Pop stove-top popcorn, make hot chocolate or mulled cider, and maybe even wrap presents for other family and friends.
- Cookie bake. This activity can be both enjoyable and therapeutic. Pick a few festive holiday favorites and have a baking party with family. It can be a great way for your senior relative to pass down some of their favorite or best-kept family recipes.
- Holiday crafts. Making seasonal crafts, in addition to being a fun activity, can help improve your senior relative’s dexterity. They can also make homemade gifts for folks on their gift list which is an inexpensive, yet thoughtful, alternative to purchasing presents.
As the winter weather blows in, take advantage of the many seasonal activities available during this wonderful time of year. Winter can be a tough time for seniors, but keeping them socially engaged during the colder months will ensure their spirits remain high. The care experts at Scottsdale Home Care Assistance know how busy this time can be, especially when juggling family, holiday activities, and providing care for your senior. If you need a little extra help during this hectic season, call (480) 448-6215 to speak with an experienced Care Manager about the live-in and hourly services provided by our highly-trained Scottsdale caregivers. We offer complimentary in-home consultations with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.