As our parents age, they often become restricted by time, energy, or money to treat themselves. A great way to show your senior loved one how much he or she means to you is to pamper them a little. Every senior is different, but Home Care Scottsdale has tried to create a list of ways to pamper elderly with a little something for everyone.
1. Cook their favorite meal. Whether your senior loved one now follows a regimented healthy diet or just doesn’t have the energy to cook his or her favorite meal anymore, he or she will appreciate the effort you make to prepare their favorite dish. If your loved one does have to follow special dietary guidelines, make easy swaps like using low-sodium, sugar-free, or nonfat products in the meal.
2. Arrange a visit or Skype call with a loved one. One big challenge for seniors is mobility, and this can often mean they see their friends or family only for special occasions or not at all if they live out of state. If possible, make arrangements to pick a friend or family member up and bring them by for lunch as a special surprise. If your loved one has loved ones out of state, download Skype on the computer and arrange a surprise Skype call. It won’t be the same as being in person, but seeing the face of someone they care about will brighten your loved one’s spirits.
3. Schedule a haircut or manicure. Take your loved one out to the beauty shop or barber shop for a haircut, or schedule a manicure for some midday pampering and relaxation. On the way home, choose a favorite spot to stop for a sweet treat and tea or coffee.
4. Take your loved one shopping. Chances are, your loved one doesn’t by themselves new items very often, if ever. Take him or her shopping and treat them to a new outfit, pajama set and slippers, or a few luxurious toiletries like hand cream, perfume, or after shave. Don’t forget to consider parking and walking when you choose the shopping location.
5. Do any activity of their choice. Seniors are often at the will of their adult children to get out of the house, and usually this means just going along for the ride unless it’s for a doctor’s appointment. Ask your loved one what activity they would love to do and make it happen (assuming it’s within the scope of reality). If your loved one has physical limitations, this may just be driving through pretty neighborhoods to check out the scenery, or they may want to catch a movie or a ball game. Taking time to acknowledge his or her interests and wants will make your loved one feel appreciated and relevant. Go the extra mile to show your senior loved one how much they mean to you. If you need additional help caring for your elderly relative or ensuring he or she is able to get out and participate in the activities they enjoy, learn more about Scottsdale live-in home care and hourly care provided by Home Care Assistance.
Our caregivers are highly-trained, thoroughly vetted before hiring, and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call a trusted Care Manager at (480) 448-6215 to find out more about the services available in your area or to schedule a free in-home consultation.